Saturday, January 14, 2012

Ideas & Inspiration For Styling Shelves and Vignettes

Hi Everyone!  Hope you're having a good weekend.  We are enjoying some time with a special friend from England who came to visit for the weekend, as well as a few going away celebrations.  Good times...:)

I thought a few fresh, beautiful vignettes for inspiration might be nice today!  To start off with, here's an insightful quote from Mary McDonald (via Veranda Magazine): 

“I always like to pair very symmetrical elements with something that’s asymmetrical, because the symmetry cleans up the asymmetrical parts and keeps them from getting too crazy....You always want to make sure when you’re putting together a tablescape for a vignette that’s symmetrical...that you have groups of all different heights, because that creates an artistic sense of release.”

Pinned Image

Pinned Image

Pinned Image

Pinned Image

Pinned Image

Pinned Image

That red just pops and I am loving that antiqued mirror!

Pinned Image

Pinned Image

Pinned Image

Pinned Image

Pinned Image

How am I going to fit a couple of garden stools from Hong Kong into my suitcase??
(I know you can get them in the US but if they're a souvenir it totally justifies the purchase doesn't it??!!)

Pinned Image

Pinned Image
These types of shelves can be tough to style but this one is nicely done!


Pinned Image

Pinned Image

Pinned Image
Such a beautiful table display for a book club dinner.

Pinned Image

Pinned Image

Pinned Image

Pinned Image

Pinned Image

Pinned Image

Pinned Image
I tried to include a variety of looks so I hope you found something you like!

You can also read my "Tisch" series about vignettes and table settings here, here and here.
Sources and more inspiration for stylish shelves and vignettes can be found here:  http://pinterest.com/hausdesign/styling-shelves-and-vignettes/

16 comments:

Wendi @ Classic Chic Home said...

Great post, Maureen! I like Mary's explanation of how to style a vignette. I can spend hours playing with a table display until I'm satisfied with the results. For me, vignettes tell a story, and add personality to a room.
PS...A few Asian garden stools should definitely find their way into your luggage!
Have a lovely Saturday!
~ Wendi ~

The enchanted home said...

Love this and all your beautiful examples drive home Mary's point well.....this is a post worth bookmarking, so much beautiful inspiration and so many great ideas!!
Sounds like you off to having a wonderful weekend..enjoy!

An Urban Cottage said...

Great picks! Lots of wonderful vignettes and most I've never seen before.

Anonymous said...

I too, like a certain symmetry as it creates balance...beautiful pics and ideas...love using book in vignettes as well as showcasing collection..
best,
maureen

Unknown said...

Nice tablescapes and arrangements here. I love those little silver boxes on the table. I have a box collection I inherited from my husband's grandmother. I love showing it off.

Splendid Sass said...

Beautiful vignettes, Barbara. I am dying to have the medal tree in the first image!
Hav e anise weekend.
Teresa
xoxo

Sonya said...

You always post such fabulous pics! Beautiful rooms, I can't decide which one I love most. Thanks for another great post.

Virginia Country House said...

This is a wonderful post! I'm so thrilled to find your blog, and am adding you to our bloglist!

Leslie said...

Working on this now and NOT as easy as it looks! Thank you for all of these wonderful ideas

Taylor Greenwalt said...

So many great images. You did such a great job in adding different styles and ideas.

MJH Design Arts said...

I love the Asian tableau....except for the bird prints and the antique French ticking pillow, all of the elements are asian--but the overall impression is not that of a strictly asian vignette. That takes talent. Super post--thank you. Mary

Sharon Lee Johnson said...

Such lovely ideas here. X Sharon

Sharon Lee Johnson said...

Such lovely ideas here. X Sharon

quintessence said...

Wonderful advice from Mary and beautiful examples of effective styling.

Tatiana Doria said...

Great examples!

www.tatianadoria.blogspot.com

Meghan @ Wishful Thinking said...

I totally agree with Leslie, I am changing some vignettes around in my home and it's definitely not easy to get the balance just right! Lovely examples Barbara, I will be using these for my inspiration!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...