Thursday, September 29, 2011

John Jacob Interiors: Intriguing South African Design

I have been intrigued by African Design since a trip to Africa in 1999.  In South Africa specifically, I think they combine the influences of their coastal location with their history of colonial elegance and then add in exotic and ethnic touches.  What a powerful combination!  I love it when my wanderlust and design intersect like that.  :)

I recently became acquainted with the wonderful blogger Sharon from Roses and Rust from South Africa and she introduced me to the work of John Jacob Zwiegelaar.   I was blown away by his unique style.  My favorite rooms all have a sumptuous blend of white, black and lush greens...

Notice how he recognizes the African setting, but in a very sophisticated way.

Love the butterflies.  My mind goes straight to Livingstone!

Killer botanicals and a nod to the coastal setting.



Very chic swimming.

More coastal influences in a warm setting.



You may have seen this dining room before.  I know I had, and it really got my attention. 
The lighting is very unique, and of course I went crazy for the succulents!



I could pull up on my boat and sit up on that balcony and watch the sunset...yep, I could definitey do that.


What do you think of the bugs?

 
A simple vignette inspired by nature.

 
I hope you enjoyed this post!  Thanks so much for reading.




12 comments:

Haus and Home said...

I love this decor and all the natural elements from the beetle prints, to the butterflies, the large succulents on the table and the botanical prints! Could be like a Natural Curiosities house!

Luciane at HomeBunch.com said...

I'm in love with that dining room (succulents). Wow! I don't think I have seen it before and I'm so impressed! It's perfect! Not too precious, just beautiful!

Have a lovely day, my friend!

xo

Luciane at HomeBunch.com

Luciane at HomeBunch.com said...

I'm in love with that dining room (succulents). Wow! I don't think I have seen it before and I'm so impressed! It's perfect! Not too precious, just beautiful!

Have a lovely day, my friend!

xo

Luciane at HomeBunch.com

Anonymous said...

high end yet comfortable look to these rooms..a sort of earthiness yet well designed aspect lends itself very nicely to the colonial feel of these rooms..
very intriguing...
best,
maureen

Meghan @ Wishful Thinking said...

He is my all-time favourite designer! I actually stalk his website on a weekly basis hoping that new portfolio photos will be added (sad, I know)! I just love those wide dining room chairs!

Victoria said...

I am in love with this man...the killer botanicals, the dining room light fixtures and succulents, even the bugs. And the last vignette is so, so beautiful...simple, but artfully arranged. Thank you for introducing his work to us. I will definitely investigate further.
Best...Victoria

The Vintique Object said...

I had no idea who he was before today, nor have I seen any of these rooms before! Anyone who designs with strong contrast gets my vote of approval. I like the rooms best where he uses warm woods. And if it's the last thing I do, I must get my hands on one of those green fishing floats.
Camille

The Vintique Object said...

I went back for a third look. Note to self: Quit buying piddly little accessories and go for large scale.
Camille

designchic said...

I'm totally obsessed with these images. The fabulous botanicals, the dining room lighting the butterflies...love it all!!

Barbara Bussey {The Treasured Home} said...

I'm not a big fan of bug pictures. How about when they frame dead bugs, as though it's a biology/art project? The rest of the shots are wonderful! I would love to have a covered veranda up on our second floor. So perfect!

LaPouyette said...

could easily live with the pair of 'killer botanicals'! k

Anonymous said...

do you know where those beautiful lamps flanking the fire place are from? ..the look a little villa alys

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...