Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Croatian Loveliness

We were briefly in Croatia last year and the architecture in Dubrovnik really knocked my socks off.  I thought I'd pass a few images along:

This is a close up of a beautiful column.  I think it will get framed eventually.
I know pictures like this have been mass produced, but
mine is the real deal, so I love it. 
Ideally I'd make this part of a grouping with some charcoal sketches and an antiqued mirror, all leaning against one another on a mantel.  I'd add some type of a funky colored vase to add an unexpected punch of color.

The Venetian influences from across the water come through loud and clear.

Notice the guy banging on the bell.  I love the touch of humor.

Stunning waterways are always inspiring.  My husband and I sat here and had one of the local beers while watching the kayakers go by in the distance.

So quaint.

I think this ironwork design is worth repeating, either on an indoor or outdoor railing.


Yep, that's a balcony way up there.  It screams Romeo and Juliet to me, even though we were in the wrong country for that.

More gorgeous columns.  I think the dream house is going to have to have a column.
 That is, if I can convince my (usually open-minded) husband that a room is not complete without one.  I don't think that is going to be any easy sell. 
Any tips out there on how to pull that off?!?

Not practical, but I still like it.  Although maybe for a fountain...

The first pharmacy in Europe, and they did it right!

A beautiful fresco.

An old aerial city map - you can see how the walls contained the city. 
This would make a good souvenir but I don't think it was for sale.  :)

I hope you enjoyed our quick trip together!

2 comments:

Pudel-design said...

Das sieht wirklich toll aus Barbara;)
Es freut mich, dass du meinen Blog gefunden hast, leider kenn ich nicht so viele Deutsche Blogs, obwohl ich von hier aus schreibe und auch noch in deutsch;)
Deswegen freut es mich sehr dich zu meinen Deutschsprachigen Bloggern dazu zählen zu dürfen.
Komm doch öfter vorbei;)

Ganz viele Liebe Grüße...

http://pudel-design.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

so gorgeous...and your pics will be lovely when framed and hung on the wall...love all the white stone architecture...it's simply amazing how gorgeous it is...
maureen

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...